The evolution of telecommunications, i.e. Number Portability and Number Pooling, has necessitated the need to display Company Identifications (CIDs) of the associated Access Infrastructure Providers and Data Providers for each telephone number to the PSAP. This need is driven by two factors:
- Speed of Identification by PSAPs
- Use by ALI DBMS Providers
A national NENA Company ID registration system was implemented by NENA Standards work groups in 1996, and subsequent work has made this service a part of this web site for general access. This approach is intended to support standardization of NENA Company Identifiers (CIDs), and to supply a single point of administration for the Company ID file content and update.
Speed of identification by PSAPs
- When a PSAP needs to quickly contact the Access Infrastructure Provider and/or Data Provider for busy line interrupt, call trace, and other emergency actions, the use of NPANXX for service provider Identification is no longer effective due to porting, geographic number assignment (e.g., Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) and pooling activity.
- Company IDs must be applied to all 9-1-1 data base records.
- It is mandatory that an accurate 24x7 contact number be provided for each Company ID.
- Data Base and/or Access Infrastructure Providers are required to register a Company ID with NENA and have a mandatory 24x7 contact number for exigent circumstances.
- The preferred method for answering the mandatory 24x7 contact number by a live person, without IVR functions. In cases where a company requesting a NENA ID does not have 24x7 assistance, such as PS911 or small rural telephone companies, the daytime number (NOC/Repair) must have a recording indicating how someone from the company can be contacted after hours.
- Assistance for the following types of concerns must be available at this number either by direct assistance or transfer to the appropriate department:
- Call Trace
- Trap and Trace
- Address Information
- Busy Line Verification and/or Interrupt
- CPE/Network Repair
- Security Concerns
Any entity with a NENA Company ID shall be required to ensure that all their information is current and accurate. The Company Identifier Database Input Form shall be completed and submitted to NENA immediately upon the effective date of any change.
Use by ALI Data Base Management System Provider
- Supports tracking, completeness, and accuracy in 9-1-1 data record processing by both the Access Infrastructure Provider and the Data Provider.
- Aids in the administration and management of discrepancy resolution among multiple companies.
- When NENA Data Versions 2.1, 3 or 4 are used, the data record address source’s Company ID will be displayed in the Data Provider Company ID field when the Service Provider originating a 9-1-1 call is not the same Service Provider that supplies the source data base address record; i.e., CLEC Reseller, PS911, VPC (VoIP Positioning Center).
Purpose of the NENA Company ID Registration Service
Listing the registered Company IDs in the NENA Company ID database allows Access Infrastructure Providers and Data Providers, states, counties, cities, and PSAPs to access and use the Company ID information. The NENA Company ID in the 9-1-1 ALI record allows the PSAP to quickly identify the Access Infrastructure Provider and/or Data Provider for the caller’s telephone number, and to determine the 24x7 number of the company for emergency contact needs. In the NENA Company ID database description, if the company has a national switching center that takes calls from PSAPs for emergency assistance, the company needs only one NENA Company ID for this purpose.
If a company has multiple emergency contact numbers, a unique Company ID must be created for each 24x7 telephone number and the company must submit the geographic areas supported by that number to be listed in the NENA Company ID database. A national 9-1-1 Company ID registration point was implemented by NENA Standards work groups in 1996, and subsequent work has been directed to making this service a part of the NENA Web Site, for general access. This approach is intended to support standardization of 9-1-1 Company Identifiers (CIDs), and to supply a single point of administration for the Company ID file content and update.
Who Needs A Company ID?
- In all NENA Data Exchange Formats, it is necessary for all Access Infrastructure Providers and Data Service Providers to have a valid NENA Company ID.
- NENA Data Exchange Formats Version 2.1, 3 and 4, contain fields for two Company IDs to be displayed.
- The Access Infrastructure Providers who provide the network access to a communication path will need to obtain a NENA Company ID to populate the Access Infrastructure Provider field.
- The Data Service Provider who has immediate access to the actual location information/address populated in the ALI record, for example Resellers, PS911s, VPCs and Third Party Data Providers, will need to obtain a NENA Company ID to populate the Data Service Provider field.
Company Name Changes (Acquisitions and Mergers)
When a company makes a change to its name due to a change in ownership, merger, etc., all Company ID’s must be updated with current and accurate contact information.
Making the required changes to your NENA Company ID will not initiate a change to the NENA Company ID populated on the records with the Data Provider. All records must reflect the correct Company ID of the Access Infrastructure Provider and/or Data Provider. To accomplish this, the new Company owner must contact each Data Provider and/or Database Management System Provider to coordinate the Company ID changes to the new ID. You may also need to contact the state PUC/PSC to provide the updated information.