The NENA Institute was created for the purpose of developing and maintaining the professional standards of the Emergency Number Professional (ENP) Program. Since the inception of the Emergency Number Professional certification, ENP professionals have gained recognition throughout the nation as leaders in the 9-1-1 field.
Re-certification Point Accumulation Form l Fee l ENP Exam Schedule l ENP Retired l NENA Institute Board l Questions?
How to Re-certify
There are two ways to re-certify; you may sit for the ENP exam again during an upcoming test period, or you may re-certify by using the points method.
» Points Method l ENP Exam l Fee
Re-certification Using the Points Method
Points toward re-certification are earned through Experience, Professional Development and Service. A total of 24 points (6 points per year average) must be earned over the 4-year period of certification. Complete and return all pages of the Re-certification Points Accumulation Form to re-certify using this method.
Experience in the field of 9-1-1
- NENA Annual Conference and Regional or State Chapter 9-1-1 Conferences
- APCO National Conference ONLY
- Navigator Conference
- NENA Development Conference (NDC)
- Critical Issues Forums (CIFs)
- NENA Center Manager Certification Program
Post-certification Degree (completed within the previous 4 years)
- Associate's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- Doctorate Degree
Definition: Continuing education units are used to gauge participation in the advancement of education. Within the NENA institute guidelines, one CEU is granted per full course engaged in the advancement of public safety knowledge.
NENA Institute Approved CEU Credits:
- Center Manager Certification Program (CMCP)
- Wireless/VoIP Public Education
- The Doctor is In: Quality Checkup for 911 Database
- Introduction to VoIP for PSAPs
- Grant Management for PSAPs: From Acquisition to Maintenance
- Government Education
- Leadership in the 9-1-1 Center
- 9-1-1 Center Consolidation
- Introduction to Wireless for PSAPs
- Understanding GIS for the PSAP
- Advanced GIS
- Disaster Planning for the PSAP
- Liability Issues in the 9-1-1 Center
- PSAP Design
- Introduction to PSAP Technology
- Managing the 9-1-1 Center
- E9-1-1 Database
- Introduction to 9-1-1 Technology
- The 9-1-1 Puzzle: Putting all the Pieces Together
- "In the Trenches" Approach to 9-1-1 Public Education
- APCO Communications Center Supervisor Course
- APCO 911 Center Manager
- NENA Webinars
- College Courses specifically geared toward 9-1-1 Center Managers and Supervisors
- All other courses submitted for consideration must be approved by the NENA Institute Board
NENA Officer, NENA Committee, NENA Study Groups, Boards
- National or Chapter President
- National or Chapter Vice President ( First , Second or Regional)
- Chapter Secretary/Treasurer
- NENA Committee/Sub-Committee/Working Group
- National, Regional, State/Provincial or County 9-1-1 Board
- ENP Approved boards (not inclusive)
- State Wireless Board
- County Emergency Telecommunication Services Boards (ETSB)
- Advisory Committees
Published article in public safety related magazine. NENA Institute approved magazines (not inclusive):
- The Call
- Radio Resource Magazine
- 9-1-1 Magazine
- Canadian Emergency News
- Building Bridges
- Fire Engineering
Presentations and Course Instruction
- Presentation at national or chapter conference on 9-1-1
- Public Safety Course Instruction
- NENA Full day course instruction
ENP Item Review
- Submission of Items
- Participation on Panel
Professional Mentoring Outside Your Normal Work Requirements
Establish or Manage a Workplace Wellness Program
Obtain and/or Maintain TERT Credentialing
Volunteer at NENA Events and Conferences
» Re-certification Point Accumulation Form
Re-certification by Examination
ENPs may choose to sit for the ENP exam again to re-certify. Please register for the exam by submitting the Eligibility Application and the Testing Center application to NENA. Select the "re-certification" option at the top of the application form and complete the background information fields. Complete the accompanying Testing Center Application form and submit the completed application packet via mail or fax. You may schedule your exam once you receive your official Notice of Eligibility from the Test Administrators. Please do not register for the exam until you can commit to testing during the testing period you sign up for. Transfer between testing periods is only permitted on a case-by-case basis, and must be requested before the exam period begins.
You may search for available Testing Center Locations online. Select "Find a Testing Center", and then select Emergency Number Professional Certification as the Client/Sponsor of the exam. You may schedule your exam once you receive your official NENA Exam Eligibility Notice from the test administrators (PTC).
» Eligibility & Testing Center Application
The fee to re-certify is $300.00 for the 4-year period beginning on the date of expiration of the current certification.
Questions or More Information?
If you have any questions or need further information about the ENP re-certification, you may contact a member of the
NENA Institute Board or Bri Robinson at NENA HQ.