About William M. McMurray, ENP
Bill was a 30 year member of the Marin County (CA) Sheriff's Office, joining the Communications Center staff in September of 1977, starting as Dispatcher and moving to Supervising Dispatcher and finally to Communications Manager in 1986. In addition to his duties and responsibilities in Marin County, Bill served on the NENA board from 2002-2006 and as NENA President during 2004-2005. Prior to serving nationally, Bill also served as the California NENA Chapter President.
As President, Bill helped steer the NENA ship through some challenging waters and provided effective leadership allowing NENA to remain the strong organization that it is today.Bill cared deeply for the people who worked with him and for the public safety mission they are called upon to carry out each and every day. He was profoundly committed to the public safety dispatching profession and to the agencies and citizens of the county, and country, that he served.
Purpose of the William M. McMurray, ENP Scholarship
NENA has established a scholarship program to honor the commitment of Bill McMurray, Past President, to the mission of NENA and 9-1-1 education. The objectives of this program are:
- To assist public safety professionals in reaching a higher level of knowledge by participating in NENA’s Annual Conference.
- To assist public safety agencies with the cost of professional development, and contribute to their ability to provide continuing education to their employees.
- To enhance the knowledge of public safety agency employees so that they, in turn, will contribute to their agency and the profession as a whole.
- To assist in the goal of "One Nation-One Number" by providing education to those individuals who have not attended an annual conference.
- Applicants have not previously attended a NENA annual conference.
- Applicants must be a NENA member in good standing within the Public Sector, Emergency Dispatch or Associate categories of NENA
- Applicants must be employed on a full-time basis by a public safety agency or appointed to an official 9-1-1 planning board.
Scholarship will be awarded for the annual NENA Conference. The scholarship includes conference registration fee and four (4) nights of lodging at a conference hotel (to be determined by NENA upon awarding of scholarship). Travel expenses to and from, and meals are not included in this award.
Responsibilities of Recipient
Scholarship recipients must attend the full conference, barring illness or unforeseen emergencies. In case of an applicant being unable to attend the specified conference, the applicant may re-apply at any time to attend a full conference. Scholarships are not transferable.
- Scholarship program description/overview - PDF
- 2017 scholarship application - Click to Apply Online - Deadline March 17, 2017