The NENA Institute was created for the purpose of developing and maintaining the professional standards of the Emergency Number Professional (ENP) Program. Since the inception of the Emergency Number Professional certification, ENP professionals have gained recognition throughout the nation as leaders in the 9-1-1 field.
Re-certification Point Accumulation Form l Fee l ENP Exam Schedule l ENP Retired l NENA Institute Board l Questions?
How to Re-certify
There are two ways to re-certify; you may sit for the ENP exam again during an upcoming test period, or you may re-certify by using the points method.
» Points Method l ENP Exam l Fee
Re-certification Using the Points Method
Points toward re-certification are earned through Experience, Professional Development and Service. A total of 24 points (6 points per year average) must be earned over the 4-year period of certification. Complete and return all pages of the Re-certification Points Accumulation Form to re-certify using this method.
Experience in the field of 9-1-1
- NENA Annual Conference and Regional or State Chapter 9-1-1 Conferences
- APCO National Conference ONLY
- Navigator Conference
- NENA Standards & Best Practices Conference (SBP)
- Critical Issues Forums (CIFs)
- NENA Center Manager Certification Program
Post-certification Degree (completed within the previous 4 years)
- Associate's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- Doctorate Degree
Professional Certification (certified within the previous 4 years)
- GISP - GIS Professional
- CEM - Certified Emergency Manager
- PMP - Project Management Professional
- CISSP - Certified Information Systems Security Professional
Definition: Continuing education units are used to gauge participation in the advancement of education.
- Center Manager Certification Program (CMCP)
- 9-1-1 Center Supervisor Program
- Center Training Officer Program (CTO)
- Advanced Fire & EMS Dispatching
- Advanced Police Dispatching
- Enhanced Caller Management
- Leadership in the 9-1-1 Center
- 9-1-1 Center Consolidation
- Improving Service to Callers with Disabilities
- 9-1-1 Customer Service: Takes Seconds, Saves Minutes
- Advanced GIS
- Disaster Planning for the PSAP
- Liability Issues in the 9-1-1 Center
- Quality Assurance: Achieving QA/QI in the PSAP
- SOP Development
- Tactical Dispatch for the Telecommunicator
- You Could Have A Future Here
- Comm Center Staffing Workshop
- Interpersonal Skills in the 9-1-1 Center
- Overcoming Negativity
- Recruit, Hire, Retain & Promote for Success
- Cybersecurity Awareness in the PSAP
- Disaster Planning for PSAPs
- PSAP Design
- Addressing for NG9-1-1
- Understanding Databases in NG9-1-1
- GIS & NG9-1-1 for the PSAP
- NENA Webinars
- Emergency Telecommunicator Course (ETC)
- EMD & EMD-Q
- EFD & EFD-Q
- EPD & EPD-Q
Other public safety training organizations
- APCO training courses
- College Courses specifically geared toward 9-1-1 Center Managers and Supervisors
Up to 6 points may be non-NENA courses.
Recognized courses include those from NENA, APCO, IAED, or other public safety training organizations, as well as training from vendors related to job performance or equipment operation. In order to qualify, all courses must pertain directly to public safety telecommunications, 9-1-1 center management, or 9-1-1 center operations.
The NENA Institute, in conjunction with the NENA Education Advisory Board, reserves the right to accept or deny CEU credit for submitted courses.
NENA Officer, NENA Committee, NENA Work Group, Boards
- National or Chapter President
- National or Chapter Vice President ( First , Second or Regional)
- Chapter Secretary/Treasurer
- NENA Committee/Sub-Committee/Working Group
- National, Regional, State/Provincial or Emergency Services Board
- ENP Approved boards (not inclusive)
- State Wireless Board
- Emergency Services / Telecommunication Boards (ETSB)
- Advisory Committees
Published article in public safety related magazine. NENA Institute approved magazines (not inclusive):
- The Call Magazine
- Radio Resource Magazine
- 9-1-1 Magazine
- Canadian Emergency News
- Building Bridges
- Fire Engineering
Presentations and Course Instruction
- Presentation at national or chapter conference on 9-1-1
- Public Safety Course Instruction
- NENA Full day course instruction
ENP Item Writing and Review | Watch a free item-writing webinar | Download guidelines and other resources
- Submission of Items
- Participation on Item Review Panel
Professional Mentoring Outside Your Normal Work Requirements
Establish or Manage a Workplace Wellness Program
Obtain and/or Maintain TERT Credentialing
Participate in an Official TERT Deployment
Volunteer at NENA Events and Conferences
» Re-certification Point Accumulation Form
Re-certification by Examination
ENPs may choose to sit for the ENP exam again to re-certify. Please register for the exam by submitting the Eligibility Application and the Testing Center application to NENA. Select the "re-certification" option at the top of the application form and complete the background information fields. Complete the accompanying Testing Center Application form and submit the completed application packet via mail or fax. You may schedule your exam once you receive your official Notice of Eligibility from the Test Administrators. Please do not register for the exam until you can commit to testing during the testing period you sign up for. Transfer between testing periods is only permitted on a case-by-case basis, and must be requested before the exam period begins.
You may search for available Testing Center Locations online. Select "Find a Testing Center", and then select Emergency Number Professional Certification as the Client/Sponsor of the exam. You may schedule your exam once you receive your official NENA Exam Eligibility Notice from the test administrators (PTC).
» Eligibility & Testing Center Application
The fee to re-certify is $300.00 for the 4-year period beginning on the date of expiration of the current certification.
Questions or More Information?
If you have any questions or need further information about ENP re-certification, you may contact a member of the NENA Institute Board or email ENPCert@nena.org.