Program Overview|Eligibility Requirements|Exam Dates|Re-certification|ENP Retired|Study Groups|Code of Ethics|List of Current ENPs
What is ENP Certification?
Certification is a tool of a professional association to establish the benchmarks of performance that will signify a broad-based competence in the professional field.
By successfully completing your certification, you will:
Goals of Certification
- Demonstrate a mastery of the comprehensive knowledge base required for emergency number program management.
- Help to raise industry standards and increase the respect and prestige of those involved in 9-1-1.
- Confirm your commitment to the 9-1-1 profession by showing yourself to be a leader in public safety and pledging yourself to stay aware of current issues and developments in the field.
The NENA Executive Board first formed a Certification Committee in 1992 to explore the development of a certification program for individuals involved in emergency number program management. After a thorough review of the certification process, the Executive Board approved the Committee's recommendation to go forward with the establishment of an Emergency Number Professional Certification Program.
This recommendation included several goals:
Application Procedure|Materials & Resources|ENP Certification for Affiliate Countries
- To establish the comprehensive body of knowledge for Emergency Number Professionals.
- To promote a standard of competence for Emergency Number Professionals that will be recognized and accepted by the 9-1-1 profession, government agencies, the business community, and the general public.
- To ensure an awareness of current issues and developments in the 9-1-1 profession.
- To provide formal recognition of individuals for professional achievement.
- To encourage professional growth and enhance the self-esteem of Emergency Number Professionals.
Why should I become an ENP?
CLICK TO Hear from current ENPs about the value of certification!
- ENPs are leaders in the 9-1-1 profession.
- ENPs receive significant discounts on National NENA conferences and events.
- More management jobs now require you to have your ENP certification before you apply.
How can I obtain ENP Certification?
Candidates must first meet the eligibility requirements and submit an application. Once your application has been approved. The next step is to sit for and pass the ENP exam. Once a candidate has earned the ENP credential they maintain it by fulfilling re-certification points requirements every four years, or passing the exam again prior to the re-certification deadline.
The following eligibility criteria have been established by the NENA Institute Board for determining if an individual is qualified to take the Emergency Number Professional (ENP) Certification Exam.
Experience Criteria -In order to sit for the ENP Certification Exam, a candidate must meet the following experience criteria:
A. Three years experience in Emergency Communications
B. Three years experience with a commercial provider of Emergency Communications products and services
Point Accumulation - Having satisfied the three-year minimum experience criterion, each candidate must accumulate a total of 10 points as follows:
Application Procedure|NENA Institute Board
- Experience - Each additional year of experience (full-time equivalent) in Emergency Communications will count for 2 points, with a maximum of 10 points being granted.
- Education - College degrees will earn points as noted below (choose highest degree):
Associate Degree - 2 points
Bachelor Degree - 4 points
Graduate Degree - 6 points
- Professional Development and Service
NENA in-person courses completed (Course Listing) will earn 1 point each. Completion of NENA's Center Manager Certification Program (CMCP) will earn 5 points. A maximum of 5 points will be granted.
Holding an office in NENA at the Chapter or National level will earn 1 point, with a maximum of 1 point being granted.
Other professional certifications (e.g. CEM) will earn 1 point, with a maximum of 1 point being granted.
ENP exams are scheduled four times annually for a two-week period each - Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall. The ENP examination will be administered on a daily basis during the two-week period, Monday through Saturday, at computer-based testing facilities throughout the US and Canada.
||July 11 - 25
||June 12, 2020
||October 3 - 17
|| September 4, 2020
| Winter 2021||January 23 - February 6||December 11, 2020|
Application Procedure & Fee Summary
The application will be evaluated by the ENP Certification Board. Candidates must accumulate a minimum of 10 points to qualify to sit for the exam. A candidate whose application has been accepted may sit for the exam at any designated test location.
Please register for the exam by submitting the Eligibility Application and the Testing Center application to NENA. You may schedule your exam once you receive your official Scheduling Authorization Notice from the Test Administrators (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please do not register for the exam until you can commit to testing during the testing period you select on your application form. Transfer between testing periods is only permitted on a case-by-case basis, and must be requested before the exam period begins.
You may search for available testing center locations online atprometric.com/nena. Click on the "Locate" link, and then select Emergency Number Professional Certification Examination as the test. Click the forward arrow, and then enter your address and testing date details. You may only schedule your exam once you receive your official Scheduling Authorization Notice from the test administrators (PTC).
The Examination cost includes a non-refundable $150 processing fee.
Click here for the Application Handbook
- NENA Members $420 (US Dollars)
- Non-members $550 (US Dollars)
- Re-examination $150 (US Dollars)
ENP Exam Materials & Resources
Questions or More Information?
If you have any questions or need further information about the ENP Program, you may contact the ENP Certification team at ENPCert@nena.org or a member of the NENA Institute Board.